The turn of the year for many of us is a great time to reflect on our current reality and review how satisfied we are with the most important aspects of our lives.
Where are we at right now and what we’d like to Be, Do and Have?
Getting clarity on our long-term vision of what we want and setting the goals and plans to get us there will provide direction, motivation, focus and provide meaning and purpose.
As Business Owners, we then need to look at how our business needs to be shaped to enable and support that vision. After all:
‘We’re in business to get more life’
So I thought I’d share this quick but immensely useful goal setting process, learned from Brian Treacy.
Review your current reality:
- What am I longing for or missing in my life right now?
- What must I accomplish to feel satisfied and fulfilled?
- What have I wanted to do for a long time but still not done?
- What is stopping from doing what I want?
- If I could change 2 things in my life, what would they be?
Evaluate how satisfied am I (out of 10) with the following aspects of my life?
- Work & Career
- Health & Fitness
- Wealth & Finance
- Love & Romance
- Family & Friends
- Recreation & Hobbies
- Personal Growth
- Environment – places, people, things you’re surrounded by
Then set goals around the things you want to change as a priority
- Define the goal
- Measure of success
- Starting & Target (value and date)
- Add Milestones (breaking the goal down)
- Create an Action Plan – one-time action or repeating routine, priority, duration
- Take action
- Track & review progress – daily/weekly
- Update the Plan
- Keep going UNTIL…(the goal is achieved)
Dig deeper on your ‘Why’ for the goal (and blockers) to provide the emotional drive. Ask yourself:
- Why is this important or significant for me?
- What will I gain by achieving this goal?
- What’s the price I’m willing to pay to achieve it?
- What risks am I willing to take while pursuing it?
- What are the possible obstacles?
- Why haven’t I achieved it already? What’s stopping me?
- What can I do differently now?
- How committed am I to doing that?
‘When your Why is big enough, you will find the How’
The ability to set goals and make plans to accomplish them is a MASTER SKILL for success.
The 20% of time you spend at the start reflecting, reviewing, setting goals and making plans will provide 80% of the value of the entire process.
How clear are you on what you want to Be, Do and Have and the improvements you need to make in your business to support the long-term vision of the life you deserve?
For a complementary session to help you get started on this process, get in touch…
“If you’re not being shaped by the vision of your future self, you’re failing.
If you are being shaped by the vision of your future self, you’re winning’’
What do you make of this thought?
How are you being shaped by the vision of your future self?
An interesting article and Ted Talk on the topic for you to look at:
For a complimentary session to help you get started on this process, get in touch