What’s the number 1 thing for you right now to move your business forward this quarter? (The answer might be ‘Recruit ‘xyz’ role’)
So tell me, how many hours have you spent on that number 1 thing in the last week?
Can you honestly say your intent has been matched by committed time, focus and resource?
Or you can use an approach from Sales Management expert, Jack Daly:
- Make a list of your HPA’s (Highest Pay-off Activities) e.g. Fee earning, Selling, etc.
- Make a list of all your other activities
Then consider, how much time do you spend on your HPA’s versus everything else?
Other questions I’d like you to ask yourself in relation to the time challenge is:
- What is the (ultimate) purpose of you choosing what you do with your time? (The answer might be ‘Freedom’ or ‘To get more of the life I want’)
- So how much are you choosing (versus reacting to) where you invest your time?
You see, time is the most powerful, consistent, constant force in the universe. It dictates everything. It moves forward inexorably. Tick, tock. Tick tock.
So, if you’re fighting against time (the most powerful force in the universe), who’s going to win? Would you get into the boxing ring with Mike Tyson or Tyson Fury?
Accept that you can’t manage time and must move forward with it. You can only manage your Self.
Accept the basic premise:
- Firstly, ‘You can do anything, just not everything’ – there is always too much to do;
- Secondly, the driving force behind managing your time is to achieve your ultimate goals.
In my years of coaching, helping ‘busy’ business owners to break through the challenge of time is the area of mastery with the biggest impact to help them leverage their knowledge and experience to raise the value of their time. In turn helping them move towards their goals and achieve the life of their dreams.
There’s a discipline you can develop, a process you can apply and a toolkit you can acquire to help you invest your time to play to your highest potential while enjoying the journey?
What’s your relationship with Time? Do you struggle with it or does it flow for you?
Watch this short video from Stephen Covey, author of 7 Habits of Highly Effective People on investing versus spending or wasting your time.
Take this 3-minute assessment to learn where to prioritise your focus to overcome your challenges and move your business to the next level.